Sunday 14 November 2010

Many colours



These lovely coloured fabrics are the result of a fabric dying class at Village Books and Crafts last weekend, and the pink-orange-yellow lot I did at home yesterday.

I learned several things. Firstly, when combining two colours of dye I need to mix them together more before adding the fabric so that I get more even colour. Secondly, I dont have a lot of confidence in zip-lock plastic bags. I was very apprehensive about squishing the fabric, dye, water/soda ash solution in the bag, having nightmarish images of bright orange solution woushing all over the room, and all over me. I think I might try another batch using some kind of plastic container instead. Thirdly, I learned that if you are going to re-use your zip-lock plastic bags it is important that after you wash and try them you must turn them back in the right way before filling with another batch of dye solution - ask me how I discovered this.

I also learned that I love scarlet. Scarlet is the fabric on the far right in the middle photo. I think I will need to do more with scarlet.

I'm in the mood for a little Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice...

Such a dazzling coat of colours
How I love my coat of many colours

It was red and yellow and green and brown
And scarlet and black and ochre and peach
And ruby and olive and violet and fawn
And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
And cream and crimson and silver and rose
And azure and lemon and russet and grey
And purple and white and pink and orange
And red and yellow and green and brown and
Scarlet and black and ochre and peach
And ruby and olive and violet and fawn
And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
And cream and crimson and silver and rose
And azure and lemon and russet and grey
And purple and white and pink and orange
And blue

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic results Lisa! I have never tried dying - decided I don't need another addiction and besides, I am convinced I would turn out lots of mud coloured cloth.

    So what treasures did you find in the garage boxes? Do tell...

    ReplyDelete

Around here

My sewing at the moment seems to be focused on a couple of quilt-a-long projects I've joined. For a while now I've wanted to use u...