Sunday 11 March 2018

Around here

My sewing at the moment seems to be focused on a couple of quilt-a-long projects I've joined.

For a while now I've wanted to use up some of my older scrappy fabrics in a way that made them look a little fresher.  The Square Dance mystery quilt at My Caroline Home seemed like the perfect project to give this a try.   The fabric requirements are quite simple - just dark/light, and best of all I got to use some pre-cut 2&1/2 inch squares for the darks.  For the lights I've thrown in some modern low-volumes, so I'm mixing the old and the new together and I'll see how that works out.



When I bought my new sewing machine my plan was to get better at quilting my own quilts.  As soon as I read about the Free Motion Quilt Along that the Central Jersey Modern Quilt Guild is running this year I was "in".  This is a great way to practice new quilting designs because each month you work on a fat 1/4 sized quilt sandwich  - nice and easy to manipulate.  At the end of the year there's going to be a smart way to join these pieces a-la quilt-as-you-qo.  I'm using up hand-dyes from my stash.  I love love love hand-dyes and I always have a stash of them, though some of the backs are the ones that don't seem to have found loving homes LOL.







See that middle one has a blank 1/4.  Well.... there's a design I haven't got my head, or my hands around yet.  I'm going to have to come back to that one.  I'm enjoying this project.  It's fun and I'm learning as I go.

Linking up with  Sew-Stitch-Snap-Share  a regular meet up where you see what other blogging quilters are up to.

4 comments:

  1. looking forward to seeing your quilt al long come together.
    quilting projects look great, and a great way to learn and master skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of mixing old and new...something I always like to do for a 'unique' look too! Great fmq-ing too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fmq designs, and the plan for a quilt is a great way to use these fat 1/4 sections. I struggle with fmq so your quilting is very inspiring! Thanks for sharing with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen quite a few people joining in with the FMQ; it looks like a great way to build skills. I like your mix of old and new fabrics; it will be interesting to see the quilt come together.

    ReplyDelete

Around here

My sewing at the moment seems to be focused on a couple of quilt-a-long projects I've joined. For a while now I've wanted to use u...