Monday 21 July 2008

Progress with fabrics


I had a day off work on Friday and used the long weekend to do some quilt shopping for the Star BOM that Judy is doing on her blog (check it out here)

These are fabrics 1-4 from left to right. (I chose 2 different prints for the third fabric - one for the sashing and the other for the borders.)

I found the hardest thing was the background fabric. In the end I chose this solid, chalky coloured plain because it seemed to be the only fabric that was the right colour. I've had this problem before. I wonder whether the importers here choose to buy in all the "wow" fabrics - with fabulous prints - overlooking the basics that are needed to support these fabrics.

My next expedition will be to find the four contrasting fabrics. I had to put that off because on Friday the quilt shop was filled with the sound of a drummer rehearsing nearby. It felt like the sound was inside my head so I called it a day with this bundle and will look out for the other fabrics over the next week or so.

I'm getting excited about making this quilt.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, soft colors! I'm curious what your contrasting fabrics will be, I'm having a hard time imagining what to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like the warm cozy feel of the colors. Thanks for you comment on my blog. I can't wait to get started.

    BTW - the photo of me was taken at Zion Wildlife Gardens near Whangerei. Lovely town, but no quilt shop :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your comments about finding the "basics". I still don't have my background fabric. I'll give myself another shopping trip to try find something I love. When you need almost 5 yards, you don't want to buy the wrong thing! Good luck! Your fabrics are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Around here

My sewing at the moment seems to be focused on a couple of quilt-a-long projects I've joined. For a while now I've wanted to use u...