Saturday 1 April 2017

2017 Finish-A-Long: Q1 2nd Finish





My second finish for Q1 of the Finish-A-Long is an art quilt piece for an online group I belong to.  This is the 3rd in a series, and there is still one more to make.  I've never worked in a series before so it has been a new experience.  Our challenge theme was 'Gondwana'. 

My series has been about reinterpreting my place in the world. I wanted to explore how New Zealand is portrayed in a style that was different from green scenery and endangered native birds and to make a strong statement.

I chose to create an abstract image of the continent Zealandia in the warm colours like those used in undersea maps. After breaking from Gondwanaland Zealandia has been mostly under the sea. Scientists argue about whether it submerged completely then partially rose, or whether it only partly submerged. In either case only 10% of Zealandia is visible above water; this part of the continent forms the islands of New Zealand.

The fabrics are my own hand dyes (with maybe a borrowed green; green is my dye weakness), cotton batting, backing is the drop cloth from a dying session (perhaps my other dye weakness is my messiness).


I'm pleased to say I finished all three of the projects on my Q1 list here.  The linkup for the finishes is here and there is lots of eye candy representing lots of hard work.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Lisa! Love the vivid orange bouncing on those blues and the straight line quilting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt! Great use of the hand-dyed fabrics and the colors! By the way, I often like my clean-up fabrics from a dye session almost better than what I dyed! *grin*

    And I enjoyed your discussion of Zealandia - something I never knew.

    ReplyDelete

Around here

My sewing at the moment seems to be focused on a couple of quilt-a-long projects I've joined. For a while now I've wanted to use u...